Author Topic: Quitting smoking  (Read 6947 times)

Offline davybill

Re: Quitting smoking
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2016, 10:14:26 AM »
Hey...  lets not stop at smoking.

What about obesity?  Almost as big a killer as smoking according some sources - so that’s cream cakes and fatty foods out the window.

But wait, there's more.  New guidelines in the UK suggest no more than 14 units of alcohol per week (for a male) which equates to six beers. 

Oops, almost forgot   :) red or processed meat.  No more than 70g a day or you'll die a horrible death.

Soon as I finish this 227g burger, topped 2 slices of mozzarella and pork scratchings, I'm gonna wipe out that box of twelve Krispy Kremes.  All washed down with a dozen cans of Tennents lager.

Then I'll crack open another carton of duty free Camel Lights.

Bliss...

JF

Hope you didn't have salt on that food,its not good for you?

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 11:36:07 AM »
How are you getting on with not smoking Karennina? Hope it's going well for you.

Offline micky mouse

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 13:56:30 PM »
Do not give up trying to stop as i had been a smoker from a teenager and i have not smoked now for two years now thanks to my cirro vape i am COPD and i dont wish that on anyone three different pumps.How ever,since stopping my breathing has much improved and i only need one pump now and of coarse theres the benefit of having all that extra money to spend which would normally go up in smoke and eventually kill you.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 16:59:33 PM »

The best way to stop smoking is to light one up in front of the President.    You won't see another fag 'til the end of your 16 year sentence.    ;)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2016, 18:35:18 PM »
Hi Mary its going surprisingly well! Im 5 and a half weeks  smoke free now and still very determined to keep going...I signed up to a text service via the nhs that helped me hugely and of course the vaping fag helped me loads tho im doing that much less now...Iv had no alcohol since I quit as i know that is a trigger for me, im very ashamed to say I used to chain smoke when i drank...
Hopefully as more time goes by that will become easier and I will be able to have a glass ( or two) of wine without thinking about smoking   :) thank you Mary for asking  :)
Sorry to hear that Mickey Mouse re the copd, il be honest I would not be suprised if i am alittle that way, I too smoked from my teenage years, i had hoped my breathing would be a bit more better then what it is now but I suppose still early days and some weight that needs losing so may not all be down to smoking!
Interestingly my chloestrol has come down without me making any changes to my diet, one doctor had said in the past that chloestorol is harder to control if you are a smoker so that is really good....
Anyone else that may be trying to quit stivk with it as defo gets easier the more time goes by   :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2016, 19:36:50 PM »
Fabulous stuff Karen, keep it going :D

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2016, 19:57:30 PM »
Karen, well done to you.  You have gone exactly the right way with not doing things that trigger the craving.  I also didn't drink when I gave up smoking.  I did have the very occasional Baileys but in the main, I didn't drink.  Now 18 months down the line I can drink without any thoughts of cigarettes.  It has actually taken around 18 months to start to feel the benefits of not smoking - my breathing is a huge amount better.  Unfortunately, I have put on weight but it feels like a small price to pay to be smoke free.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2016, 22:36:23 PM »
Thank you Keith and Lynne  :)
That is great to hear Lynne that you can now have a drink without thinking about smoking, that is the point i want to get to defo!
Im sooo glad you said it took 18 months to feel the benefits of not smoking as i suppose i expected it to be more or less instant and it hasnt been...i know what you mean re the weight gain, i shall tackle that next...
Iv only just realised its 10.30 and iv not even thought about cigs and have not vaped at all today or tonight so it defo is no longer like constantly on my mind   :)

Offline patrice

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2016, 10:46:13 AM »
Well done Karen I packed it up  4 years ago like you I  was often tempted  when I had a glass of wine in my hands but know I can have a drink without the yearning . So keep it up it is worth it in the end.

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2016, 14:35:12 PM »
Well done Karennina, Keep up the good work....It's well worth it and just think what you can do with the money saved from not smoking or drinking  ;D  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf