Author Topic: Can this be true ?  (Read 5295 times)

Offline jezz

Can this be true ?
« on: March 24, 2010, 19:49:51 PM »
We subscribe to Martin's Money Tips usually a good site that gives useful information on every subject.  However, I have just opened up this week's copy and the first item was - Where the pound goes further - top destinations where you cssh buys more ....
 - here's the price of a basket of goods inc beer, water and meals which cost £72.14 in the UK (Brighton) compiled by the post office at today's exchange rates.
Hungary 37.40, Bulgaria 39.52, Thailand 42.31, Spain 45.26, Baili 52.51l Kenya 52.60, Malaysia 57.71, Croatia 63.40, Greece 64.02, Egypt 65.45, USA 62.70 Turkey 76.08.

What has happened, when we were in Calis last year, yes, prices had increased but still good value for money.   Has he got his facts wrong or are we in for a big surprise ???

Offline farmer

Can this be true ?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 20:38:38 PM »
Ah Jezz   Statistics Statistics Statistics!

I would hazard a guess that everthing depends on how and on what the costs are based. If for example the costs were obtained from a supermarket shopping trip for Beer, Water ( presumably bottled ) and the ingredients for making meals I would  be rather  surprised at the result.

Certainly bottled beers in a UK supermarket can be inexpensive compared to shop - bought Beer in Turkey.

Water ( the bottled varieties ) is a fair bit cheaper when shop - bought in Turkey.

As for meals. Well that is a difficult one. I would wager that the vegetable content is a fair bit cheaper here in Turkey. But the comparatively very  high meat  proportion  of UK meals though just might weigh the whole meal cost towards the UK as most meats here are a shade above UK prices.

Having said that, if the report is a reference to the cost of all the items mentioned in an " eating out " situation, then I truly doubt it's veracity.  

It would be nice if you could elaborate on how the costs you quote are derived and calculated.

Regards,

farmer

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Can this be true ?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 21:42:39 PM »
The shopping basket quoted a bit way out.

When we returned to the UK we couldn't believe how much cheaper our shopping basket was in the UK compared to Turkey, we also forgot the huge choice on offer in UK.

I don't drink, but do know that I could buy (today) 20 x 440ml can of Carling Black Label (plus a few other brands) for £18 (£1.12 per can).  

If we did not have our own home in Turkey I would definitely be looking at package holidays.

Offline BM06

Can this be true ?
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 10:08:32 AM »
Jezz, you are in for a big surprise.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Can this be true ?
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 11:24:28 AM »
My apologies. The figures I quoted below were from 2008. The PO claims they have increased considerably since then.

I have copied below the Post Office holiday "basket" of goods. Perhaps Calis residents would care to comment on its accuracy. I have paid a lot for Suncream over there but nearly £10 seems high. I have never had a Heineken in Turkey so that may be an unfair comparison. And why anyone should want to read a UK tabloid when on holiday is beyond me.

ITEMS

Cup of coffee (Bar/café)           £1.51   

Bottle of Heineken (Bar/café)      £2.58   

Bottle/can of Coca-Cola (Bar/café)   £1.08   

Bottle of mineral water (Supermarket)   £0.43   

Suncream Factor 15 (Supermarket)   £9.26   

Postcard & stamp for UK (Tourist shop)  £0.75   

Insect repellent (Supermarket)      £2.26   

Pack of Marlboro Lights cigarettes   £2.07   

English tabloid newspaper      £2.20   

3 course evening meal for 2       £30.14
(including bottle of house wine)
in a local restaurant   

TOTAL               £52.28   

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 16:38:16 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Can this be true ?
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 11:36:28 AM »
From Jezz's figures one thing is quite obvious - the very thought that Turkey and Brighton are similarly priced is quite ridiculous if we are talking about holidaying. The major cost is accommodation - you can get a hotel room in Calis for £8 a night if you are happy with basic/clean - try getting one in Brighton for that. How much a postcard or bottle of water is has very little relevance on your overall holiday budget.

The other point is that comparing your holiday spending with your day to day life spending is pointless. It is like choosing not to book a limousine as a special occasion treat because your Fiat Panda costs nothing like the amount they are quoting. It's pretty much as farmer says, you can make statistics show any point at all.

Remember, you may be happy to read that 90% of people you walk past on your way home at night have no intention of hurting anyone. Sadly that would mean that one in ten people you pass are violent nutters  ;)

Offline steveb1

Can this be true ?
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 11:49:21 AM »
Loz

"I don't drink, but do know that I could buy (today) 20 x 440ml can of Carling Black Label (plus a few other brands) for £18 (£1.12 per can)".  or may be £0.90 per can

Offline Woodies

Can this be true ?
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 12:38:02 PM »
Yes we all know that the cost of every day items, have risen in Turkey, but the same as the UK, you have to shop around. Certain things may be cheaper/more expensive in Migros, so you look at the same cost of these items in Tansas and Bim. We can all find a bargain (occasionally) if we look hard enough, but same as the UK, prices fluctuate, and you buy storable goods when you find them cheaper. Having said that, if they had added the cost of a decent bottle of wine to the lists quoted, Turkey would have been far more expensive, than already stated.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Can this be true ?
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 13:09:29 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by steveb1

Loz

"I don't drink, but do know that I could buy (today) 20 x 440ml can of Carling Black Label (plus a few other brands) for £18 (£1.12 per can)".  or may be £0.90 per can

Oh dear should have gone to spec savers! :) reverse divided.  8)

We went to live in Turkey 2003, shopping was much cheaper than UK, now the tables have well and truly turned, even with shopping around Bim, Tansas, Migros etc could not compare to a bargain in UK.  Toiletries are really expensive in any Turkish shop, when we return to Turkey I am buying a large supply to bring out, even the extra luggage cost is worth the saving.

Meat had started to get expensive when we left Turkey last year, having not returned to the UK for 5years it was very noticeable, I could not help buying kilos & kilos of meat, I was like a child in a sweetie shop, we ate like kings...lol

Clothes are less expensive in the UK, also more choice. I bought clothes before we came back to UK , I could kick myself!

Offline Robw

Can this be true ?
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 14:01:06 PM »

Depends where you buy your meat surely? Asda for example is rubbish compared to a quality butchers but the price is totally different and as for 3 course evening meal for 2    £30.14
(including bottle of house wine)
in a local restaurant   

Try and get that in brighton. :o

I know where id rather spend my hard earned cash no matter what the cost.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf