Author Topic: sunbeds in may on the beach?  (Read 19388 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
sunbeds in may on the beach?
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 21:18:49 PM »
I heard recently there is a dispute over the beach - due to mismanagement the local council has had the responsibility for the beach taken away from them and they have had a hissy fit and are refusing to clean it.

Also the reason for no sun beds and parasols.

I think I have reported this as accurately as I can remember.

Offline posleeds

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 09:02:37 AM »
I understand the same....responsibility no longer with the Belediyesi but an Environmentalist group who are not putting sunbeds & parasols up this year in a bid to protect the turtles.
I don't see why the bars should loose out...if they push the fact they have sunbed cushions to lay on the beach people will "borrow" those in return for a drink or two.  Though laying directly on the beach rather than on a sunbed must be worse for the conservation of the turtles surely?
Ahh...this is Turkey...lets just wait & see...

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 09:05:13 AM »
The kids didnt do a very good job Toky. It was covered in plastic bottles and rubbish on Thursday this week. I think you are right Nichola. Who is going to lay on a cushion on that beach and with no umbrella in July and August. When we first came to buy in Turkey we wanted to buy in Calis. However the state of the beach was one of the reasons we were put off and we bought in Fethiye.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 09:14:08 AM by mercury »

Offline posleeds

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 09:17:25 AM »
Laying on the beach is actually comfier than laying on a rigid plastic sunbed - the shingle moulds to the shape of your body...the cushion just takes the sting out of it!  
I see an opening for mega sales in parasols on the sea front....is there an entrepreneur out there?

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 09:19:47 AM »
I know they didn't Mercury. One or two had filled their bin bags, others strolled about as though they were on a jolly from normal school work. They were picking up along the shore line but very few were actually coming on to the beach. There was a very special moment though. Half an hour behind the main group, there was a young girl with extreme walking difficulties, doing her bit, attempting to pick up bits and pieces. She was caringly supported by a teacher who obviously had loads of patience. It did bring a tear to my eye watching the effort it took this youngster to bend down, then drag her wee legs heavily along the beach.
:D

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 09:36:47 AM »
It may be comfier but I mean who would want to lay on a mattress on the beach surrounded by rubbish and dog poo? Thats very touching Toky.

Offline farmer

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 10:53:50 AM »
Some four or five weeks ago my wife and I saw a very overloaded lorry travelling away from the beach, just past the meeting point.
It was very overloaded with the reed/cane beach umbrellas.
All the traffic was taking evasive action.
We wondered at the time where they were being taken.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 13:11:55 PM »
There are turtles at Dalyan but they still manage to keep the beach clean and put out nice sunbeds. mattresses and umbrellas. How many resorts do you see without beach umbrellas.? Higher prices in the bars. dirty beach etc. not good for tourism.

Offline Clioman2

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 17:28:39 PM »
i have to say that we're disappointed that the beach is apparently going to be both shabby AND expensive this year. We've been coming to Calis twice a year since 1997 and have enjoyed our days on the beach with lunch at the Orient, Nil etc. We've even struck up a bit of a rapport with the guy who collects the parasol/sunbed money. Although we haven't spent every day on the beach, we usually have spent most there. We do also enjoy days out on boat trips and having a bumble around Fethiye. We're due out early June for the first hol and will be checking out the far North establishments if the stories of beach prices doubling are true. Trouble is when one of you has osteo-arthritis of the knees it is a long way to walk from say the Oykun. For the second hol we have booked flights with easyjet to Dalaman; maybe we will have to find a resort other than Calis for September. From our point of view, if we can't find a reasonably-priced beach day then our hotel will get most of our daytime expenditure..................at least for June; September might be another story if the beach remains over-priced and poor value.

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 17:49:18 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mercury

There are turtles at Dalyan but they still manage to keep the beach clean and put out nice sunbeds. mattresses and umbrellas. How many resorts do you see without beach umbrellas.? Higher prices in the bars. dirty beach etc. not good for tourism.

agree 100% i had a walk down the prom today, absolutely dead hardly anyone about, this time last year all the beds were out and people were using them, talked to several restaurant owners and waiters and all said it will kill this years trade. they have put their sun lounger cushions out hoping people will take them and sit on the beach, but people want to be able to sit in comfort read a book with a back rest, have shade from the midday heat with a brolly. its rubbish to refer to the turtles  i personally have never seen any turtles coming on to the beach to lay their eggs from the bandstand to as far down as the bottom, and if they do, dalyan has it right, they corden that area off. seems like all politics to me.tourists will simply get on the water dolmus go to fethiye and head for olu deniz, result dying calis.:(
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 06:23:51 AM by desmartinson »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf