Author Topic: Catching Criminals in Calis  (Read 6200 times)

Offline Twin Bee

• The Artist Formerly Known As
Catching Criminals in Calis
« on: November 10, 2009, 23:10:24 PM »
It is not in my nature to be alarmist but I think it is fair to draw the conclusion that more crime is being committed in Calis now than before i.e there are more reported burgularies and more reported sex crimes.
While it may be true Turkish people are also victims surely it is likely that people are being targetted because of the perception that there are 'easy pickings' to be had in a 'well to do' holiday resort. It follows that victims will decide against coming to Calis again, wjhich is in no ones interest.
What I am not sure about is the extent to which the Turkish press report these matters and the number of convictions and the punishments dealt out to those who are caught. It would be reassuring to know that people are convicrted and punished.
Is there a need for more of an outcry from Turkish people about what is happening. Are local Turkish people being complacent. I wonder?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 23:11:54 PM by Twin Bee »

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 23:24:38 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Twin Bee

Is there a need for more of an outcry from Turkish people about what is happening. Are local Turkish people being complacent. I wonder?

Can you be more specific Twin Bee. What do you think constitutes complacency and what practical measures do you want the "Turkish people" to take to satisfy the need for more of an outcry,

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 07:38:53 AM »
Twin Bee, do you mean reported on CBF or reported to the police, the "sex" crimes reported on CBF were never reported to the police.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 07:40:06 AM by Diverbaz 1 »

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 11:41:57 AM »

When people reported the "crimes" on here, tinkerman offered to collate all the information and go and speak to the police about the said "crimes", not one person came forward with anything. Therefore it can only be classed as hearsay, you can't put a stop to it if there is no real evidence that something has happened.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 11:53:22 AM »
Nearly right Baz, info was passed on to me from one of the attacks but none had been reported to the police direct.

Tinx

Offline Twin Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 11:59:52 AM »
I meant being reported on CBF. The fact that some so called 'low level' sex crimes like flashing, pinching bottoms and pinging bikini straps is not reported to the police does not mean these are not happening.
It would appear that many burgualries are now being reported to the police.
I just wonder if anyone gets caught, what punishements they get and more importantly how (or if) these get reported in the Turkish press.
The tide is turning with more and more people saying they are victims of crime in Calis or surrounding areas. Two management companies I know have mentioned to me that this season they have had more customers affected by crime - though they qualify this by saying local crime is less than in the UK. (that comparison might depend on which part of the UK you compare it with!)
Complacency is when no one cares enough to put a stop to it. The example which comes to mind is the number of alledged attacks about a man jumping from behind bushes and being menacing to women in and around the Aqua Park area. I doubt if this person does these things without someone in the comunity knowing that he does these things. Surely if the event is not reported in the local press and condemmed then he might feel he can get away with it.
While indignation and rage by the english victims is understandable more is needed from thel ocal community and I wonder if the community is expressing its abhorence or are they being silent? I just dont know? Do you?

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 12:02:47 PM »

Posts are starting to go in the wrong order.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 12:09:26 PM »
I spoke with a very well known local character in Calis who is a hotelier amongst other things. My point to him was that postings about attempted sexual assaults or abductions was not good for his business or anyone else's - and perhaps something could be done locally to help. He genuinely had heard nothing about any incidents. So the answer to your question is no.

As I've said several times before, the police aren't receiving first hand reports, in fact until CBF folk like Tinx and sunnyD started to help, they weren't getting reports of any kind - and again were shocked to hear that there were such incidents.

The bottom line is that the police believe that the only reason a Brit will spend a few hours in their station is to get a crime report for their "stolen" wallet, camera or ring - when it comes to reporting an 'incident', nobody goes.

Offline Twin Bee

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 14:42:28 PM »
It is not quite a simple as that Keith.
Firstly if you are a victim of lets say; 'unwanted and abusive sexual attention' like I described in my earlier post you will think twice about contacting the police.
Also people who are on holiday will want to keep in a happy frame of mind for the rest of the holiday and any visit to the police in a foriegn country is never done easilly or with out anxiety or even fear. And some victims will be flying home soon after the event where they may feel safer and out of harms way and can put the event to the back of there mind.
I am not so sure you can make the same claim about property crime not being reported. Some of these people say they have involved the police. Many have been reported on CBF and you yourself has said it happens to Turkish people too - so is anyone caught, what sentences are given out and what publicity follows. Surely reporting that someone entered your bedroom in the early hours while you were asleep is not quite in the same league as reporting the theft of a camera. If it is then that might justify saying the police are complacent.
I have no doubt in my mind that people are doing these things and boasting about them - because that is what criminals do.
Is it time for Turkish people to shame these people. If they shaming or disaproving these people then I see, nor hear, no evidence of it happening but in fairness I would not know if are.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 14:45:41 PM by Twin Bee »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 14:57:51 PM »
You are steping towards the ridiculous now Stuart. Nobody officially reports anything and the alleged attackers must tell other people about it because that is what they do.

In conclusion, we can assume that the attackers aren't telling enough people, or the right people, about these incidents. It isn't for local people to hope to hear a confession, it's for people who have had such an experience to report it so something can be done. If they won't, then that's all of us waiting for the criminals to boast about it to us, which they do. But so far not to me, or anyone I know.

Nonsense I'm afraid!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf