Author Topic: Fethiye To Rhodes Ferry  (Read 10440 times)

Offline strange

• Newly Registered
Re: Fethiye To Rhodes Ferry
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2016, 11:38:47 AM »
Highlander, I think this is where the "bucket" comes into play  :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2016, 12:42:37 PM »
Don't worry H, I don't think you visit at the end of the season.  We have travelled in June and September without a problem.  Weather is usually always good then.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2016, 12:55:27 PM »
The main weather issue is the meltemi winds, which blow from the north or north west, between the Turkish coast & Greek islands, throughout the summer months causing heavy seas. They tend to blow most in the late afternoon ie the return journey from Rhodes. If you get caught by them, the chances are that the hydrofoil cannot "fly", so the journey time is much longer. It has happened to me twice, once late June (journey time doubled) & the 2nd time,  in early September last year, when we were about 30 mins late into Fethiye.

I cannot claim that either was the "journey from hell", the first was just mildly uncomfortable. There was, however, a day a few years back, when the waves were so big that many sailing yachts, even those moored in marinas were losing stuff off the decks. I'm not sure that I would have wanted to be on a hydrofoil that day.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2016, 13:09:08 PM »
Think I'll go to Hisaronu instead  ;)

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2016, 13:14:32 PM »
I've heard that it can get a bit rough up there too    ;) Or am I sailing into choppy waters  ;D

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2016, 13:43:35 PM »
H, if you do venture into storm-whipped seas and brave the tempest to sail to Rhodes, don't order "a large beer" in the old city unless you are seriously thirsty. The naughty Rhodians have a favourite scam which is, if you order "large", to serve you a litre of beer - often in a glass boot. I made the mistake twice - slow learner, I thought the first was a "one-off". The second time I was charged 18€ for the drink. Ouch. If I ever went again (unlikely) i would write 500ml on a piece of paper and push it in front of them.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2016, 14:07:38 PM »
Think I'll go to Hisaronu instead   ;)

Don't be put off H,  We have always enjoyed our visits and I am sure Mrs H would love it there. I would not take a chance on Hisaronu.  It may be much more stormy.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2016, 14:10:05 PM »
But the bucket might be handy in Hisaronu as well.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2016, 14:57:40 PM »

Keep away from Hisaronu, we don't want ruffians. Stay down in the swamps and reed beds.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2016, 18:39:47 PM »
My brother has arrived from Lincolnshire today - he is going to Bristol City's first match of the season tomorrow (he's a soccer fan, black sheep of the family). I told him about the Fethiye-Rhodes ferry controversy. He told me he had only taken it once to spend a couple of nights on the island in September. When they took their bags down to the terminal in Rhodes Town to come back he was told. "Bad weather. Cancel. Come back tomorrow". Don't believe tales that the wind doesn't blow in September!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf